Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sprinkler fun

It has been sooo incredibly hot here this week that we have been having quite a bit of water fun. Last year, the CIs were still new to me and I was paranoid about getting any amount of water on them. This year, I have learned to mellow out a bit. I just don't have the capacity to be nervous over every little thing! So, I am letting Kevin play with squirt bottles, hoses, and yes, even run through the sprinklers. He has enjoyed it and I love the fact that he can hear while getting in a water fight with his brother. The ears never get drenched, but they do get misted. I faithfully put them in the dry-and-store at night, but I just not stressing about it. According to the marketing material from Cochlear, the kids can 'run through the sprinklers', so that is exactly what I am letting Kevin do! So far, so good, and most important... Kevin is having a blast!

6 comments:

Drew's Mom said...

Awesome! We're getting ready to test ours out...I'm like you. Not going to worry about it. What matters is that the boys have fun!

LĂ­zinka said...

Can I contact you by email. I am just going through the same story with my 3M old son.

Kristen said...

Hi Lizinka.

Sure you can. Please leave a comment with your email address on it. If you don't want to do that, then can you please update your profile so that it can be read when I click on your username? Thanks!

tammy said...

I just wanted to say hello! I am new to the deaf/hoh world. My son Aiden was diagnosed with profound hearing loss (he's 2 mths) and we're starting our journey. I just love the sites that are out here and all of these mom's stories like yours! It is so helpful! So THANK YOU! I started a blog as well to help me with healing, I would love to become a part of this community, so please pass it on! I would love to hear from you! Are you all in Wisconsin??

Bill and Shelly said...

We are another CI family, our daughter Allison was born deaf 5 1/2 years ago. She was implanted in Jan 2005 and received her 2nd implant on April 21st of this year. She has made amazing progress and will be heading to K in the fall in a typical oral classroom.
It is wonderful to have so many families out there to lean on for support. We are a little farther down the CI road, but we can always learn from others.
It is great to "meet" you. Feel free to check out our blog at krullfamily5.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

Hi Tammy and Bill & Shelly. It is great to meet you! Tammy, because you caught your son's hearing loss at such a young age, he will be just fine. This is much un-anticipated journey, but a beautiful one. Watching our son learn to hear and speak has been so precious to us. It is something that I always took for granted before this. Please let me know if you have any questions about the process. Be sure to check out the yahoo group cicircle. It is just for parents of kids with CIs and there is a wealth of information and support there!
Bill and Shelly, I am glad your daughter is doing so well! I can't wait to read your blog and learn from her experience!!!