Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Step Toward Independence

Kevin made huge progress today! While driving in the car, he knocked his coil off of his head and he managed to put it back on his head! Yea!!! This is the first time he has put the coil back on his head. He did this numerous times today, so it wasn't just a fluke. He can't get the ear-piece yet, but the fact that he can put the coil on by himself means he is one step closer to not having to have me be right by him in case it falls off. I am so proud of him!

He also did something really cute in the car today. We have been working on legs apart and legs together in gymnastics, so we were driving and all of a sudden I hear 'open... close, open... close' and I look back and he is moving his legs apart and saying 'open' and then closing them and saying 'close'. Now, it sounded more like 'oden...dooze', but I understood him and he was so proud of himself. He is really making huge strides these days. He even said 'help me' today too. I feel like he is making a lot of progress on expressive language right now.

2 comments:

Drew's Mom said...

That is awesome! Now, can he teach Drew how to put his coils back on? :)

Kristen said...

I need to get the new software now that won't allow the coils to hook up with the wrong implant. Kevin just grabs a coil now and puts it up to his ear. He doesn't know that he shouldn't get them mixed up. One problem solved and now another one to figure out... :)