Thursday, December 20, 2007

whisper

I was so amazed to hear Kevin whispering today. My husband whispered something to him and he whispered his answer back!!! I don't exactly know why I am so surprised that Kevin can whisper, but it just fascinates me that he can detect and mimic the volume level in someone's voice. He seems to be adding words daily to his expressive language and his clarity is getting better and better.

On another note, we are experiencing some frustrating issues with his processors. It seems that the processors are faulty and they have all (4 of them) decided to break in the same week. The processor is locking when you turn it on so that you can't adjust the volume, program, or even turn it off without taking the battery out. Luckily, the processor is locked on the correct program. The bigger issue is, however. when I called Cochlear for replacement processors, they told me they don't have any. The processors are backordered. How absurd is that????? A cochlear implant company doesn't have any processors? Well, it turns out it is true. The processors are refurbished and too many people haven't turned the broken ones back in. Luckily, our implant center is giving us loaner processors to get us through until we can get our new ones. There was about 2 hours that I didn't know his still worked and I thought we wouldn't have them for a few weeks. Needless to say, I was crushed that his first hearing Christmas would be in silence, but all is well again, and he will hear Santa's reindeer land on our roof! :) Just one more gray hair for me from this experience!

No comments: