Monday, December 3, 2007

Another first for Kevin (and me)


Tonight I encountered another first with Kevin and his hearing. His bedtime routine usually consists of reading stories, brushing teeth, saying prayers while rocking him, then I remove his ears, rock for another minute and lay him down. He loves this routine and has been doing this for months. Well, tonight, I did everything the same, but when I went to remove his ears, he starting fighting to keep them on. He REALLY wanted to read 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear' one more time. Mind you, we read this book about 20 times today!!! He wasn't trying to procrastinate, he just really wanted to hear it one more time before bedtime. I was saddened by the fact that he knew his sound would end and he wanted to hear the story one more time before silence, but also elated that he WANTED to HEAR the story one more time. I did end up reading the story one more time and he loved it just as much as the other 20 times today. I really hope his auditory memory is good enough to replay the story in his head as he went to sleep tonight. It warms my heart to think that he was replaying the sound of my voice with each animal in the book as he drifted off to sleep.

No comments: