Sunday, March 25, 2007

First big CI Moment

It is hard to believe that it has been 4 weeks since Kevin was activated. We have seen him respond to everything from knocks, to speech, to musical toys and stuft animals. Every time he responds, I get so excited and feel like calling people on the phone telling them 'Kevin can hear'!!!

Today, I feel like Kevin had his first big CI Moment. I was rocking him on his rocking chair while feeding him his bottle before bedtime. We have 3 hanging pictures above the chair. One is a giraffe, an elephant, and a monkey. Everyday, after I read his book, I tell him what each animal is and tell him the sound they make. This afternoon, I thought it was coincidence, but he pointed up at the wall when I asked him where the elephant was. Well, this evening, I asked him where the monkey was, and he pointed up at the wall!!! I think he understood me! I can't believe it! He is only 4 weeks hearing and he is already understanding me. I am so proud of my baby boy. I know this is just the beginning, but I can't believe we have already reached this milestone. This whole CI trip has been soooo worth it.

I just had to share! :)

Also, I just read a great story about one parent's journey of finding out their child is deaf to the implant surgery. It is so close to ours that it was erie to read. I honestly could have written this story. Check it out to find out what we went though!
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/chapter_1.html

1 comment:

Drew's Mom said...

I had not checked on Kevin for a while. What a wonderful news. I am so glad that he is making this much progress so quickly! Aren't babies just amazing?

Take care.